by Ella Frances Sanders
I really enjoyed reading this book. It's a nice coffee-table book or just something to revisit. Though I also feel like this could easily be a "word a day" calendar or a "word a day/week" app. The illustrations were often cool and fun and the range of words offered were fascinating. I had some issue sometimes with the font and script they used for definitions, but I highly recommend checking it out, especially if you are fascinated by language or art.
Singers and Tales: Oral Tradition and the Roots of Literature by Michael Drout
I'm a huge fan of Drout's work. This is his 8th or so Modern Scholar production and he's just a joy to listen to. He's always excited and engaged with the course he is presenting and he has many different asides that make it feel like each lecture is a conversation. This lecture series brings a lot of insight into oral tradition, what we assume about it, what it really is, and how it is different from and informs the written tradition. What's great about Drout is that he covers a good range of literature and does his best to go beyond his own comfort zone of training to explore non-Western traditions of oral tradition.
Here's my ongoing list of books read this year on GoodReads.
- Lost in Translation: An Illustrated Compendium of Untranslatable Words from Around the World by Ella Frances Sanders
- I Could Pee on This And Other Poems by Cats by Francesco Marciuliano
- The Five Keys to Mindful Communication: Using Deep Listening and Mindful Speech to Strengthen Relationships, Heal Conflicts, and Accomplish Your Goals by Susan Gillis Chapman
- Singers and Tales: Oral Tradition and the Roots of Literature by Michael Drout
- NeuroLogic: The Brain's Hidden Rationale Behind Our Irrational Behavior by Eliezer Sternberg
- The Heart Goes Last by Margaret Atwood
- Texts from Jane Eyre: And Other Conversations with Your Favorite Literary Characters by Mallory Orthberg
- Spellsinger (Spellsinger, #1) by Alan Dean Foster
- Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis by Robert Putnam
- Tokyo Ghoul, Volume 4 (Tokyo Ghoul, #4) by Sui Ishida
- All-New X-Men Vol. 6: The Ultimate Adventure by Brian Michael Bendis
- Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 3 (Tokyo Ghoul, #3) by Sui Ishida
- Invisible Republic, Vol. 1 by Gabriel Hardman
- Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 2 (Tokyo Ghoul, #2) by Sui Ishida
- You Have Killed Me by Jamie Rich
- Naoki Urasawa's Monster, Volume 2 by Naoki Urasawa
- Outcast, Vol. 2: A Vast And Unending Ruin by Robert Kirkman
- The Divine by Asf Hanuka
- Tokyo Ghoul, Vol. 1 (Tokyo Ghoul, #1) by Sui Ishida
- Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann
By Any Other Nerd Blog by Lance Eaton is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.